It’s October and here are some jobs you can be doing with the kids during the October holidays:-
– Prepare the ground for potatoes and carrots for next spring. Add lots of compost, well rotted manure or other organic matter;
– Plant onions setts and leeks for harvest next year;
– Plant winter brassicas such as broccoli and Brussel sprouts for harvest in early spring or over the winter;
– Sow hardy varieties of peas to overwinter for an early crop next year;
– Protect summer lettuce and radish with fleece until they are ready to harvest;
– Harvest the last of your summer vegetables.