Sources Of Information & Useful Resources
Gardening for children
There are lots of websites with advice for how to get children into gardening. Amongst the best are:-
- Nature Detectives
- Gardening with Children
- RHS Gardening with Children
- BBC website
- RSPB Gardening for Wildlife
- Wildlife Trusts Wildlife Gardening
Supporting nurseries/schools with their gardens
These are the main initiatives for schools:-
- RHS Campaign for School Gardening
- Grounds for Learning – offers advice on developing your grounds.
- Creative Star Learning – a great outdoor learning service by Juliet Robertson for educators.
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh – offers a Schools Education Programme for Nursery, Primary, Secondary and Teacher Continued Professional Development.
- Teachers’ Guide to Composting in School
Improving Biodiversity in North East Scotland
Gardening Equipment for Children
Yeo Minis & Twigz are the main brand of gardening tools and equipment for children. These can be found on our online store.
There are children’s seed ranges available from many of the big seed companies including Thompson & Morgan, Suttons and Unwins. However as long as the seed is viable and big enough to handle by children you can find cheaper sources.
There are also some lovely story books and seed packet box sets from The Secret Society. These can also be found on our online store.
Things to do
You can sign up to Nature Detectives for masses of nature things to do outdoors.
Get out in your own garden and get growing!
Like our Facebook page for local events and free resources!