It’s February! Here are the jobs you can be doing in the garden this month with the kids:-
– Prepare vegetable seed beds, if weather is suitable (!);
– Cut down autumn fruit raspberry canes to ground level;
– Apply a general purpose fertiliser to tree, bush and cane fruit and mulch with well-rotted manure or garden compost;
– Apple and pear trees can still be winter pruned;
– Sow tomatoes indoors and allow to germinate in a warm place;
– Sow broad beans for an early crop indoors.
– Plant shallot sets 15-18cm apart with tips just under the surface;
– Start to chit potato tubers in egg boxes on a window sill;
– Put up nesting boxes for birds or renovate and repair old ones;
– Continue to provide a range of foods for birds through to spring.