Gardening for children
There are lots of websites with advice for how to get children into gardening. Amongst the best are:-
Supporting nurseries/schools with their gardens
These are the main initiatives for schools:-
- RHS Campaign for School Gardening
- Morrison’s Let’s Grow Initiative
- Grounds for Learning – offers advice on developing your grounds.
- Creative Star Learning – a great outdoor learning service by Juliet Robertson for educators.
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh – offers a Schools Education Programme for Nursery, Primary, Secondary and Teacher Continued Professional Development.
Gardening Equipment for Children
Yeo Minis & Twigz are the main brand of gardening tools and equipment for children. These can be found on our online store.
There are children’s seed ranges available from many of the big seed companies including Thompson & Morgan, Suttons and Unwins. However as long as the seed is viable and big enough to handle by children you can find cheaper sources.
There are also some lovely story books and seed packet box sets from The Secret Society. These can also be found on our online store.
Things to do
You can sign up to Nature Detectives for masses of nature things to do outdoors.
Here’s a guide which one of our young fans, Sarah, has researched on how to set up your own flower garden – http://www.avasflowers.net/kids-guide-to-planting-a-flower-garden. Thanks Sarah!
Get out in your own garden and get growing!
Like our Facebook page for local events and free resources!